Employers and member associations who are interested in the Supplemental Plan should first review the plan information online at www.omers.com.
Interested groups and employers can also ask OMERS to host a Supplemental Plan meeting (a fee applies). Hosting this information session will ensure that interested parties have an opportunity to ask questions and are fully aware of the Sup-plemental Plan provisions, cost considerations, and the steps required to offer the benefits and to enrol members. OMERS can provide a cost estimate of Supplemental Plan future and past service costs on request – details are available online.
An employer proceeding to set up a Supplemental Plan benefit should:
- Review all information available online or through as Supplemental Plan meeting.
- Obtain a cost estimate (see information above) via e-access using the e-Form 301.
- Notify OMERS of their intent to adopt a bylaw or resolution and the timelines for implementation.
- Adopt a bylaw or resolution authorizing coverage.
- Enter into a Coverage Agreement with OMERS to set up coverage.
- Use the e-Form 300 – via e-access -- to set up coverage for a class or classes of employees.
- Remit contributions as appropriate including any retroactive contributions (earliest effective date is July 1, 2008).
For full details, see www.omers.com: Employers/Supplemental Plan/How to Set Up Coverage.
Subsequent to Supplemental Plan enrolment, OMERS will provide individual members the option and cost to purchase past service, where relevant.