Disability review process
- OMERS receives your completed and signed Request for an OMERS plan benefit e-form 143 and sends the member a request to obtain medical information.
- The OMERS medical advisor conducts an initial review to determine the member’s eligibility for disability benefits.
- Unless the member is determined as permanently disabled at the time of the initial application, OMERS requires a re-certification disability review after 24 months.
- OMERS may require a discretionary disability review (at OMERS expense), at any time. Such a request cannot be made more than once a year.
: If a member does not comply with a re-certification, OMERS deems the member to not be totally disabled. The disability benefit is terminated until they are re-approved. Broken service may be required.
What is it?
Rehabilitative work is usually the transitional period
between a member’s total disability status and their return-to-normal-work duties (regardless of pay scale).
: The duration of rehabilitative employment is temporary; that is, it spans weeks or months, not years.
Occurs after an OMERS disability waiver begins
For members returning to rehabilitative work, submit
a completed Notice of rehabilitative work form 152 to OMERS.
If OMERS does not approve the rehabilitative work:
- the disability waiver of contribution stops from the return-to-work date;
- retroactive contributions from the return-to-work date or from the date the approval ceased must be deducted and remitted;
- the contributory earnings received during this period must be included in the pension adjustment (PA) for the year and must be reported on the Annual reporting of membership information e-form 119.