Thank you to everyone who provided input and helped us with our disability review.
The following process changes go into effect on July 1, 2018:
- All employers must notify OMERS once the disability elimination period is fulfilled – i.e., submit a Request for an OMERS Plan Benefit (e-Form 143) once the member reaches the first day of the fifth month following the date of disability.
- OMERS will then reach out to members directly to let them know what information they need to provide to assess their benefit.
- OMERS will require members to send their written election before proceeding with the disability application.
- An additional medical review will be undertaken within the first 24 months a member is on disability waiver of contributions (disability waiver).
- A review will be completed every 24 months for members who are permanently approved for a disability waiver or disability pension.
- Members on disability waiver who are deemed permanently disabled will be provided the option to go on a disability pension at any point in time.
- Regular and consistent follow-ups with members and employers are being implemented to help members make timely and informed decisions.
- The Notice of rehabilitative work – Form 152 has been changed to reflect that employers now only need to confirm that rehabilitative work meets OMERS definitions.
- OMERS will support rehabilitative work plans when the:
- employer verifies it meets the definition of rehabilitative work; and
- member provides medical evidence supporting the need for rehabilitative work; and
- rehabilitative work period falls within two years of the initial return-to-work date.