The Fall Information Meeting provided significant updates. Read highlights below, including some of the comments and questions raised by attendees, and the feedback we received about the meeting. We now offer a video feed of the session – the video is available for viewing anytime.
The Fall Information Meeting was an opportunity for our stakeholders to hear messages from OMERS senior leadership on a wide range of topics, including the following:
- The new funding management strategy and related decision-making process (see related article) recently adopted by the OMERS Sponsors Corporation represents a significant move forward in the manner in which the Sponsors Corporation manages the benefits and contribution rates of the OMERS Primary Plan;
- OAC Board Chair George Cooke indicated that ongoing dialogue with our stakeholders is essential and that his target is to meet with each sponsor organization at least twice per year;
- OAC President & CEO Michael Latimer indicated that OMERS is focused in the key areas of building investment results, aligning resources and evolving our culture, with a focus on value for pension dollars, which includes reviewing all of OMERS major costs;
- The 2014 Fall Information Meeting marked the first time OMERS has provided an interim financial update. Michael Latimer indicated that, as of October 2014, OMERS private and public market returns are on target and OMERS funded status is estimated to improve to 89.5% for 2014, up from 88.2% in 2013; and
- OMERS Chief Investment Officer, Private Markets, Michael Rolland, provided an overview of the private equity and infrastructure components of OMERS investment platform – now combined under OMERS Private Markets.
The Information Meeting was also an opportunity for our stakeholders to ask questions, voice concerns and engage in dialogue with OMERS senior leadership. With over 150 people in the audience, either in-person or via the live video webcast, there were many questions raised and addressed, such as:
- There were questions about what we are doing to ensure part time employees are aware of OMERS and their ability to be a member. We indicated that this is a priority. Please see related article.
- There were questions and comments about the new funding management strategy and how stakeholders submit their ideas for plan changes into the new process. That’s still part of the process and we will make that clear as we communicate more of the details. Please see related article.
So, how did we do?
Based on feedback gathered from participants through a post-event feedback form:
- 94% of respondents considered the Fall Information Meeting to be “relevant” or “very relevant”, with 88% of respondents satisfied with the time allotted for interactive discussion;
- The majority of respondents was equally impressed with Michael Rolland’s educational session, and expressed a strong level of interest in the individual updates provided by the presenters; and
- We received a variety of suggestions as to potential topics for future educational sessions. We will review all suggestions as we begin planning the educational portion of the 2015 Spring Information Meeting.
These and other comments will be taken into consideration as we prepare for our 2015 Spring Information Meeting, taking place Monday April 13, 2015. We hope you’ll join us or watch online.
If you haven’t done so already, please tell us what you think about the meeting by sending a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can we help?
Monday to Friday
8am to 5pm
900-100 Adelaide St W,
Toronto, ON M5H 0E2